Thursday, April 13, 2006

Cross-Stitching: Knitting AND Crocheting

"It's a beautiful day for a motor car race." Actually, it was a beautiful day for anything! Half a day off from school for my son meant a half a day filled with fun with friends, while the kids played and the moms chatted. I can't tell you how long it's been since I've had a good one of those. I didn't have to think about lunch, it was all prepared for me. My kids were entertained, I was set with some good girl talk, and all the while the sun was shining and the breeze was blowing. And that was just HALF the day! I got to spend the other half knitting with some other friends. Well, actually, they knitted and I crocheted, as I'm working on the Lacy Leaf Shrug by Annie Modisett in the latest Interweave Crochet. Yes, I'm a cross-stitcher. That is, I knit AND crochet. Not the stuff with the 14 count Aida cloth and a needle and floss. I quit that years ago. Those supplies I just had to have now languish near the tubs full of yet-to-be-used-yarn. I haven't had the heart to break it to the cross-stitch stuff that it will never see the light of day again. I figure if I leave it there in the same room with the yarn, it can at least go on hoping that I will someday pick it when I do my search and seizure (not the kind where you fall to the floor and writhe. I leave that for my husband to do when he enters that room and sees how much yarn I have.)

I got one more strip of the Carnival Shawl put together tonight, but it doesn't look different enough from the photo I posted yesterday, so I didn't bother to post one tonight. Actually, I've renamed this project. For me, this is actually the Nautilus Shawl. I opened the new Knitty today, and there were some knitted "Nautie" toys, and low and behold, I found the Nautilus shell I kept trying to think of name of to describe the motifs of the Carnival Shawl. That is EXACTLY what I meant, but for the life of me, I couldn't come up with it. Thanks Knitty!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, dear. I had successfully avoided the whole crochet thing, thinking a) I don't do it and don't really want to learn 2) it makes inflexible garments I'm not interested in. Then I surfed over to see your little Lacy Leaf number. There is some cool stuff there. Crochet does open and lacy so well. I love the Juanita, darn it! But back to your shrug, the picture isn't that great. I looks like she has a big wrinkle on the left front. Does it have the cutaway shape like it looks and is ill-fitting, or is this a cardigan shape she has pulled back? Good work on the Carnival!

PassioKnits said...

smuddpie:
Yes, I like crochet for the lacy stuff. I like to do it in the spring and summer when I don't want some heavy, hot project on my lap. But, you are right. The internet picture of the lacy leaf cocoon does not do it justice at all. It is a big circle with sleeves, and no one walks by while I'm working on it without commenting how beautiful it is. The back is the prettiest. I'll lay mine out and photograph it so you can see it. If you are familiar with the Cocoon Wrap Annie Modisett did for Vogue Knitting, it is just like that. You can see a picture of it on my blog, with me in it, so you can see how it hangs. It is also on the cover of the Fall 2005 Vogue Knitting.

Picture to follow...

Julie

PassioKnits said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
PassioKnits said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

Anonymous said...

I like it! Good job. Go on.
»