Thursday, March 08, 2007

The Stars at Night Shine Big and Bright


I surprised my sister with this sweater last Fall, knit from a pattern in the Philosophers Wool book, "Fair Isle Sweaters Simplified," with a bunch of different yarn from my stash. (Actually I mixed these two patterns together, STARS and KILIM JACKET, so she could wear it as a jacket instead of a pullover). Her son's team name is the Stars, so I thought it would be perfect to wear to cold Friday night football games. She was totally surprised when I showed up at her office and bestowed this upon her. It was great! It truly was better to give than to receive in that case!
If you ever want to do a Fair Isle sweater, I STRONGLY recommend that you take a look at the two-handed method shown in a great little video on the Philosophers Wool website. It made it SO much easier to do in the round than the front and back piece method I was using for a Classic Elite Fair Isle sweater. After learning this method, the Stars sweater only took me about 3 weeks to knit, and afterwards, it took me a year to go back to the half-done Classic Elite sweater and finish the pieces! Luckily, I was able to do the sleeves in the new method, so that made finishing it bearable. I really can't begin to tell you what an impact this little video had on my knitting! I have no affiliation, I'm just a VERY satisfied consumer!

No comments: